When recruiting potential athletes, recruiters consider the standing vertical jump. By looking at players and their vertical jump, they can immediately tell how explosive an athlete is. The vertical jump, or vertical leap, is a great way to gauge one’s power, explosive strength, as well as the ability to use that strength.
Vertical jumping is a key indicator of an athlete’s power and explosiveness. This test measures how fast one can jump from standing to jumping as high with their legs.
For athletes who need to jump or sprint quickly, explosive power is crucial. This includes basketball, volleyball and track and field. A good vertical jump can help athletes reach higher heights faster than their competitors.
Additionally, having good explosive power allows athletes to create more force when they land from a jump which can help them stay injury free. The vertical jump and explosiveness are interrelated. Strong leg muscles and the ability to quickly generate power will lead to a higher vertical jump, which can be very beneficial on the court or field.
Some of the best athletes in their chosen sports fields have insane vertical jumps. Wilt Chamberlain is believed to have recorded a 48 inch or 121.9 cm vertical jump in the NBA. Michael Jordan, arguably one of the NBA’s greatest of all time and known for his electric and jaw-dropping airborne performance, is estimated to have a vertical jump as high as 46 inches or 116.8 cm.
Outside the NBA, some of the highest recorded vertical jumps include Olympic high jump gold medalist Dwight Stones, who was rumored to have a vertical jump of 50 inches or 127 cm, and NFL player James Robinson who reportedly has a 45 inches or 114.3 cm vertical jump.
Measuring your vertical jump is pretty simple. There are many advanced tools that can help you measure your vertical jump more accurately. However, a simple chalkboard and board will suffice. To measure your vertical jump, you will need the following:
- A tape measure
- A wall or solid vertical surface
- To measure and observe, a friend or coach
- A piece of tape is a good way to mark your starting point.
- Optional: a box, plyometric step platform, or another object to jump off.
You will need the following to measure your vertical leap:
- Place the tape measure on a flat surface and stand with your feet about shoulder width apart.
- Grab the tape measure’s top with one hand, and reach up to grab it.
- Using your other hand, press down on the bottom of the tape measure to ensure it remains stationary.
- Standing straight, stand up and jump high. Make sure you mark the highest point on the tape measure using your finger or a marker.
- Take a measurement from the floor to this point in order to calculate your vertical jump height. This will depend on which unit of measurement you use.
Bearing in mind that the average vertical jump for men is 16 to 20 inches while it is 12 to 16 inches for women. A person who can jump higher than this is considered to be above-average or very good at vertical jumping. Individuals with vertical jumps greater than 28 inches for men and 24 inches for women are considered excellent vertical.
When you measure your vertical jump, there are three things that will happen. You’ll either be satisfied by your abilities. Sometimes you might feel the opposite, and desire a larger measurement. Or you may be amused and indifferent.
Vertical jumpers who are disappointed in their ability to leap high should feel relieved that there are so many methods to improve it.
But before that, why is there a need to increase your vertical leap? Do people who don’t practice sports have anything to gain in training their vertical leap?
While athletes have every reason to better their vertical jumps, it needs to be clarified for common folks as to what they can gain from doing the same.
That said, increasing your own vertical jump is still worth doing. It has its merits, such as:
- Improve Athletic Performance: Increasing your vertical jump can have a significant impact on your athletic performance in a variety of sports. Jumping is a key part of many athletic activities, including basketball, volleyball and track and field. Increasing your vertical jump will help you run faster, jump higher and be more explosive with each movement. Even outside of sports, improving your athletic performance is still something nice to have.
- Increase Strength: Improving your vertical jump involves focusing on certain muscle groups that help you generate power when you take off the ground. Increasing the strength of those muscles will make it easier to generate more power and height when you take off the ground. Of course, this increase in strength is useful even in daily life. No matter your field of work, any additional power from your body would prove useful in different situations.
- Better Balance: Core muscles play an important role when jumping because they provide stability while in the air and control your balance as you land back on the ground. Working on improving these muscles will help you have better balance and control when landing from a jump or taking off for one. Just as with strength, balance is something that can be useful in day-to-day living. Good balance is essential for daily living.
- Improved Coordination: As jumping requires coordination between different muscle groups throughout your body, increasing your vertical jump can help improve the coordination and timing of those movements. This improved coordination will translate into better performances in various sports activities that involve jumping or quick bursts of energy. Just as with balance and strength, coordination is something that could prove useful to daily living.
Now that we have seen what improving your vertical can let us find a way to make you jump higher.
For those of you who prefer a more visual experience, here is a video review from Tom on his YouTube channel Smart Brandings Channel. To get a comprehensive overview of Vert Shock, you may still want to check out our article below.
What is Vert Sock: Along Overdue Overview How Vert Shock John Mayer
Vert shock is an exercise program that increases vertical leap by strengthening the core and lower body. The program also helps improve one’s balance, stability, and coordination.
These exercises include jumping exercises, plyometrics and agility drills. In addition to the physical benefits of Vert Shock, athletes can also benefit from increased confidence and mental focus as they work through the program. How Vert Shock John Mayer
Verts shock promises that it can help people increase their vertical jump of most people within 8 weeks. It is not surprising that Vertshock is targeted at volleyball and basketball players, who want to start spiking or dunking the ball as soon possible.
Adam Folker and Justin Darlington created Vert Shock. Together they created a vertical training program that helps athletes increase their vertical jump by improving their speed, agility, power, and mobility. The program is eight weeks long and includes exercises that help athletes reach their full potential.
The program also includes nutrition advice and mental training tips to help athletes stay focused and motivated during the process.
How Does Vert Shock Work?
Vert Shock is an innovative program designed to help you increase your vertical jump. It has three phases: preshock, shock and postshock. The pre-shock phase prepares your body for the shock phase by getting your muscles used to jump higher exercises.
During the shock phase, plyometrics are used to build explosiveness in the legs and core, while squatting works on building fast-twitch muscle fibers. During the post-shock phase, more intense workouts will be done to improve your jumping ability even further.
To fully experience Vert Shock, you will need to train for 8 weeks. Within that 8 weeks of training will be 41 workouts you will have to do regularly. These workouts can be as simple as static core and strength exercises, or more challenging high-impact power trainings. How Vert Shock John Mayer
The Pre-Shock Phase
Vert Shock is divided into three parts, the first of which is the Pre-shock phase. In the pre-shock phase of Vert shock
Vert Shock’s pre-shock phase is intended to prepare athletes for the more intense training in the subsequent phases. This includes a variety of exercises, drills, and stretches that will improve strength, power, agility, balance, and coordination.
The pre-shock phase also emphasizes stretching and foam rolling to improve flexibility and decrease the chance of injury. Finally, this phase also helps athletes establish proper movement patterns that will be beneficial during the more advanced phases.
To maximize the results of these exercises, you should perform each one with proper form and the full range of motion. Additionally, it is important to gradually increase speed or weight as your strength improves over time. These steps will ensure your body is ready for the next phase.
The Shock Phase
The second phase of Vert Shock’s program is called the Shock Phase.
The second phase of Vert Shock’s program is called the Shock Phase. This phase is for advanced to intermediate athletes and focuses on explosive power and strength building for advanced to intermediate athletes. It is composed of three stages that gradually increase in difficulty and intensity. How Vert Shock John Mayer
This phase focuses on heavy weight lifting, plyometrics, and bodyweight exercises like jumps and hops. This phase also emphasizes proper form and technique to ensure that any gains made are permanent and not temporary.
During the Shock Phase, athletes can expect to see an increase in their vertical jump height and improved coordination and agility. This phase will also help athletes improve their overall fitness level, allowing them to perform better in all sports activities.
The exercises in the shock phase of Vert Shock are designed to rapidly increase the power, speed, and explosiveness of your vertical jump. During this phase, you will perform exercises such as box jumps, depth jumps, squat jumps, and single-leg hops to develop explosive strength.
You will also learn how to properly perform each exercise, which will increase its effectiveness and decrease the chance of injury. With consistent effort and dedication, you can expect to see significant improvements in your vertical jump height.
The Post Shock Phase
The Post Shock Phase, the final phase of the vert shock experience, is called the “Post Shock Phase”. In the post-shock phase
This phase will be focused on new strategies and exercises to increase strength, power, explosiveness, and speed. This phase will help you keep your vertical jump and improve it as you go.
The post-shock phase includes a variety of drills that will target different muscle groups and movement patterns to help you become a better jumper. These drills can be done in the gym or at home with minimal equipment.
This phase also focuses on improving your form and technique to maximize your jumping potential. The post-shock phase includes nutrition and recovery strategies to make sure your body recovers from all the hard work.
You will also find it in the Vert Shock Phase’s post-shock phase. Here, the emphasis is on strengthening your lower legs and reducing the risk of injury. This phase will focus on strengthening exercises for the quadriceps and calves.
You will also work on agility drills to help develop coordination and improve speed. Plyometric exercises will be used to enhance power and explosiveness in your vertical jump. Finally, you will be doing dynamic stretching to reduce tightness in your muscles and improve flexibility. How Vert Shock John Mayer
Vert Shock Expectations
Vert Shock, as it is advertised, promises to increase your vertical leap. It may seem like a simple statement but it can be deceiving.
You will reap the benefits of Vert Shock on your own. These include:
- Improved vertical jump performance: The program focuses on specific strength and power exercises that increase explosiveness, allowing you to jump higher than ever before.
- You can increase your muscle mass. This will allow you to leap higher and more confidently.
- Greater flexibility: Improving your flexibility helps you with your balance and coordination, both of which are necessary for a successful vertical leap.
- Reduction in injury risk: The Vert Shock exercises can be used to strengthen the muscles and joints, which will help to lower the chance of injuries when performing jumps or other activities that are related to basketball.
- You will have a better overall athleticism. Vert shock focuses on improving your power, speed, agility, and quickness. This is all to enhance your athleticism on the court and field.
Vert Shock Injury Concerns
Vert Shock may seem appealing, especially considering the potential gains, but it is important to determine if this is the right exercise for you.
Before trying out Vert Shock, you must consult a qualified medical professional to ensure that it is safe for you to do so. Before attempting any new fitness program, it is important to understand any risks or possible side effects.
Also, make sure you are familiar with Vert Shock before beginning and that you have all the equipment and space required to complete the exercises.
Vert shock is just like any other exercise program. It is important to keep your injuries at bay. Before any exercise, it is important to warm up. You could do this with a light jog, or dynamic stretching. It is also important to practice proper form when performing the exercises to avoid injuries.
Additionally, it is best to start with lighter exercises and gradually increase the intensity over time as your body adapts. Finally, make sure to take breaks between sets and listen to your body if you experience any pain or discomfort. How Vert Shock John Mayer
Vert Shock Price
Vert Shock is not a free program.
When you pay for Vert Shock, you get a membership log-in for their website. As such, you can only buy Vert Shock on their own websites. As a result, anyone trying to sell you Vert Shock outside the website is potentially there to scam you.
What do you get if you pay for Vert Shock, you ask?
Vert shock is a complete vertical jump training program. It will increase your vertical jump by as much as 9-15 inches in just 8 weeks.
The program is tailored specifically to basketball players. It includes detailed video instruction, a comprehensive nutrition guide, and access to the exclusive Vert Shock members group, where users can ask questions and get support.
You can also get a 60-day money back guarantee to make sure you are making a long-term investment.
Vert Shock is regularly priced at $138, but at the time of writing, there is a limited-time discount offer of $67. This is almost 51% off.
Vert Shock Verdict & Final Thoughts
The Vert Shock program has been very effective in my experience. Within 8 weeks, my vertical leap increased significantly. Before, I could barely feel some air when I jumped. Now, I feel that I can reach considerable heights. That may also be partly to losing some weight while doing the 8-week exercise.
That said, not everybody will have the same experience as me. Vert Shock isn’t a magic bullet that will instantly increase your vertical jump. It also requires significant hard work and dedication to see results.
Completing the entire eight-week program was challenging, and there were times when I felt like giving up. However, seeing my progress through regular measurements of my jump kept me motivated.
Vert Shock’s effectiveness will ultimately depend on how hard you work and the dedication you show. If you’re willing to do the work, you can expect to see gains. Otherwise, it’s a waste of money. How Vert Shock John Mayer
Pros and cons of Vert Shock
Pros of Vert Shock
- It’s easy to follow: Vert shock is easy to understand and follows simple instructions. Each move can be explained in detail with videos.
- Convenience: Vert Shock can be accessed online so that you don’t need to travel far. Anyone who wishes to improve their vertical jump can do the exercises at home.
- Vert shock has proven to work: Many athletes have experienced great results using the program.
- Vert Shock is affordable: This program is more affordable than other programs available on the market. You don’t need to spend a lot to see amazing results.
Cons of Using Vert Shock
- It Can Be Expensive: The Vert Shock program is not cheap – the full 8-week program costs $67, which can be a lot for some people. This is even more when you consider the original price of $138
- Results may vary: Like all programs, results can vary and results could be different for you.
- It requires consistency: In order to get the best out of Vert Shock, you need to be consistent and dedicated to your workouts and training schedule. This can sometimes prove difficult for some.
- Not suitable for beginners: The Vert Shock program was created for advanced jumpers who have a certain level and skill in jumping. This might not be the best choice if you are just starting out.
Commonly Asked Questions about Vert Shock How Vert Shock John Mayer
What am I paying for?
The Vert Shock Program is a complete workout program that you can access by paying for it.
You will gain access to your very own username and password that is sent via email. This will give you access to Vert Shock’s members-only portal, where you can get all the resources and references needed for the Vert Shock Program. As such, you will need internet access to fully use the Vert Shock program.
How does it work?
Vert Shock uses strategic exercises and sets per repeat combinations to help you develop your elastic muscles fibers.
Do I need any equipment?
Aside from an internet connection, to get the tutorials and resources, you will not need any exercise equipment to enjoy the Vert Shock Program.
Vert Shock is a plyometric-oriented exercise, and as such, you will not need any weights or heavy lifting. This frees you up and allows you to work out at home, at the park, or anywhere else you prefer.
Is Vert Shock Safe?
Vert Shock is entirely safe for all ages.
As with all exercise programs it is a good idea for you to check with your doctor or an expert to make sure your body can handle the intense exercise. Apart from that, Vert Shock is simple enough that it is safe for anyone who is fit enough to do intense and heavy exercise.
How long does my Vert Shock Membership last?
Your Vert Shock Membership will last a lifetime.
You can access it anytime and anywhere. Vert shock will never expire. You can log in as many times as you like to your account.
Will it affect me even if I already have an above-average vertical?
Vert Shock will still work even if you have a considerable vertical leap with some caveats.
Your gains might be much lesser when using Vert Shock compared that to a newbie, as you will surely